New Year Resolutions for Healthy Pets
New Year’s Resolutions for Your Pets – Let us be your partner in your pet’s health in 2018!
- Schedule two veterinary appointments this year - Pets need regular veterinary care to live long, healthy & happy lives. The best time to bring your pet in is for a wellness exam. Seeing your pet when he or she is feeling good gives veterinarians a baseline to use in case of trouble. We will also use these appointments to update needed vaccinations and discuss early disease detection blood and lab tests and wellness profiles.
- Consider annual dental cleanings - Besides just bad breath, poor dental health causes pain and can lead to heart, liver and kidney disease.
- Don’t skip out on their exercise - Regular exercise maintains a healthy weight, builds strength and endurance and reduces behavior and medical problems associated with inactivity. Depending on breed, age and size, activity levels will vary, but do not let the winter months keep you from jogging or walking your dog. Most dogs will retrieve balls or toys for hours if you will toss it for them! Encourage cats to be active with toys or chasing laser pointers.
- Consider training – Beyond learning the basics of sit, stay and come, effective training can help your pet become a successful member of your family and build a strong bond between you. Starting early as a puppy or soon after you adopt is best, but training can be applied to all ages. You can teach an old dog new tricks! We have an American Behavior College Certified Dog Trainer on staff who conducts private and group lessons.
- Provide heartworm prevention - Heartworm disease, a potentially life-threatening condition, is prevalent in Alabama because of mosquitoes. Heartworms live in the heart, blood vessels and lungs of an infected pet. While treatment is available, prevention is much safer and without side effects. Even indoor pets need to be on heartworm prevention – there are numerous products available including monthly pills, topical options or an injectable from our veterinarians.
- Log into your pet portal - 24/7 access to your pet's medical history, retrieve pet ID cards with vaccine information, browse our extensive library of educational tools related to your pet's health, view and request appointments and set up medication dose reminders and shop our online pet pharmacy & supply store.
- Download our new Valleydale Animal Clinic app - Earn loyalty rewards points!
- Keep them looking & feeling fresh & clean - Regular bathing & grooming maintains healthy coat, skin and nails and can detect skin conditions.
- Help your pet be reunited if lost with microchipping!
- Refer new clients to Valleydale Animal Clinic - Let us help even more Birmingham pets! We appreciate your recommendations for us in our Share the Care program - both you and the new client you refer receives a $20 credit!